We all want what is best for our pets, no matter their breed or age. So when it comes to choosing chew toys, it is vital to look into toys that are the most durable, tasty, safe, healthy, and appropriate for your dog.
- Rawhide/Pig Ears - These hardened toys are delicious, and your dog will certainly enjoy gnawing on them. However, it is important to monitor your dog with them, as they the can cause choking hazards if left unattended.
- Elk/Deer Antlers - Unlike many types of bones that can cause choking hazards and damage your pups teeth, these are two kinds of antlers that are safe and healthy for your dog to play with.
- Bully Sticks - Owner recommended and provides pets hours of chewing and snacking fun. Make sure to check with your veterinarian to see if Bully Sticks are right for your pet.
- Rubber Toys - Kong® and Nylabone DuraChew® are both companies that specialize in rubber and rope toys that withstand any strong jaw or sharp tooth. They make toys in all shapes and sizes; even hollowed toys, perfect for hiding treats to provide hours of distraction, or freezable for cool and refreshing fun.
- Rope Toys - strong and durable and great for tugging and interacting with your pet.
- Hard Plastic/Nylon - Unlike rubber, these toys often have less give and can injure your dog's teeth. Check to make sure it's okay by attempting to indent the side with your finger. If you can't, it is too hard to chew on.
Approach tennis balls with caution. They are great for fetching, and fun to chew on, but prolonged chewing can lead to lodged airways, and can wear down teeth over time. Sticks may seem like a simple and free toy, but can be very dangerous. It can lead to stress and puncture wounds in the mouth, eyes, abdomen, and even the heart.